I started volunteering in The Gambia in August 2010 with VSO and have now made my way to India - I'll be home for the Olympics.

Thursday 28 June 2012

Wildlife of Orissa

Well this will be my penultimate post, yes the Olympics are almost ready.  Judging by the current British weather everything is set!  All of this means I've only got three weeks left in India, again another year whizzes by.  All good blogs should have a wildlife entry - and so should mine, so here goes:

Languishing langur monkeys near Tamana (on my way to school) 


Harmless sand boa snake - on my way back from the mess at night


Common macaque monkeys raid the office for mangoes


Large "hand size" beetles make an appearance at night after the rains


It turns out to be a rather venomous common krait snake (top four killer)


Not really Orissa - Macaque from Tamil Nadu enjoying a coconut


Friendly lizard from Puri


A chameleon lizard from our mess, moments later it turned black


Rather a large golden orb silk spider, directly outside the office


One of the many butterflies


Now we're talking, scorpion season has started again - they're everywhere



I've also seen silver jackals on my ride back from school, peacocks & hens, large fruit bats and a mongoose or two.  Still to see a sloth bear, elephant (wild) or leopard!

No comments:

Post a Comment