I started volunteering in The Gambia in August 2010 with VSO and have now made my way to India - I'll be home for the Olympics.

Friday 10 February 2012

Saraswati Puja

Time for a few more photographs from Kankia School. A few days ago we celebrated Saraswati Puja, one of the most important festivals of the school year. Saraswati is the goddess of knowledge, music, arts and science - so no wonder she's celebrated so enthusiastically! I'll let the photographs do the talking, as to be honest I didn't really understand what was going on!

The shrine to the Goddess Saraswati



The pupils take a hand in cooking the food - for five hundred people!



Gifts are placed in front of the shrine



A little bit too much incense at this point



People touch the flame in hope of improved knowledge (didn't help me)



At the end of the celebrations we enjoyed a wonderful feast, presented on a customary banana leave. The festivities weren't exactly over as pupils were then given coconuts to smash on a rock near the shrine. As a teacher I also took part - it took me two whacks to break my coconut!

A Puja is a Hindu day of worship - the children took weeks to make the shrine


No comments:

Post a Comment